Jan 9, 2008

Catching the Big Fish

Tonight, I picked up a copy of Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity by David Lynch at the local Barnes & Noble. And I finished reading it in about 2 hours in. Lynch is a Hollywood director (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks) who practices Transcendental Meditation. And he talks about how you have to dive deep within yourSelf to catch the Big Creative Ideas. And meditation helps you do that. You become more conscious and more aware of things.

He also talks a bit about teaching kids meditation in schools to help them deal with the stress of life (after all, kids probably have as much stress as their parents!). Quiet interesting. He calls it Consciousness-Based education and funds schools via the David Lynch Foundation.

Here is a quote from the book:

[page 5] I have never missed a meditation in thirty-three years. I meditate once in the morning and again in the afternoon, for about twenty minutes each time. Then I go about the business of my day. And I find that joy of doing increases. Intuition increases. The pleasure of life grows. And negativity recedes.

For sometime now I haven't been good and buying a book, finishing it and moving on to another book. I have at least half-a-dozen books that are half read! That's going to change in 2008!