Sep 27, 2009

Bounce

The market is shifting. And your company is facing hard times. But you don't want to just survive it; you want to move to the next level. And maybe predict where the market is going and be ready for it.

The book, Bounce, deals with such a scenario. I'm sure thousands of books have been written on this subject matter. This one deals with the situation using new terms ("Bounce", "Manage the Mission", ...) and a new way of looking at it: from the perspective of Rangers in the Army and the training they go through to perform under enormous pressure. I think this book was mainly written for managers, so I couldn't connect with it.

But I've been seeing more and more business books of this sort: a long (made up) story that illustrate a few short principles. I think Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box and The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict are two of the best books in that category. (They are also amazing books in general.)